Glashütte

Origin and Comeback

A step back can also be a step forward: with its return to the origins of the brand in Glashütte, Tutima clears itself a path for new horological visions.

Craftsmanship with tradition

 

In May 2011, the tradition-rich, family-owned company Tutima celebrated its return to manufacture status at its founding location with the presentation of the repeating Hommage wristwatch, the first minute repeater ever completely developed in Glashütte, and created in Tutima’s new manufactory in Glashütte. More than three years had passed before this complicated timepiece comprising more than 550 individual components was ready to be presented to the world.

With its acoustic time signal, the Hommage entered a new era: the Tutima brand is back home, where it saw the light of day in 1927.

In April 2013, Tutima presents four completely new watch model families: Saxon One, Grand Flieger, M2 and Patria. These high-quality models follow the concept Tutima has professed for more than 70 years: technical, sporty timekeepers with instrument character.

Long years of horological experience and competence down to the very last detail can be found in every single Tutima. The art of keeping the big picture in mind is something the internationally renowned, family-owned company recently displayed with its impressive fresh start in Glashütte.

Connoisseurs of fine watches are excited to find out more about the new plans in the old world and other exciting premiers “made in Glashütte.”

Tutima_180113_V1_040_glashutte

glasshuttebelow_factory

Time with History – The Beginnings in the Heart of the Art of Watchmaking

The history of Tutima begins in Saxony’s Glashütte: a legendary location of world renown as a “watch city” since 1845. Read More

With the founding of the Uhren-Rohwerke-Fabrik Glashütte AG (UROFA) and the Uhrenfabrik Glashütte AG (UFAG) in 1926 and 1927 respectively, the 27-year-old Dr. Ernst Kurtz kicked off production of Glashütte’s first wristwatches. The top quality line from these factories was called Tutima, which is Latin for “secure, protected.”

The final development of UROFA-UFAG in 1941 became a milestone in the brand’s history: the legendary two-button pilot’s chronograph marked “Tutima.”

family

Saxony Becomes Lower Saxony

While Glashütte’s watch industry lay in ruins after the end of the war in 1945, Dr. Ernst Kurtz made what was nearly impossible possible.
Read More

With untiring entrepreneurial spirit, he continued watch production in Memmelsdorf in the vein of his uncompromising philosophy of quality together with former employees from Glashütte.

In 1951 Kurtz relocated the production to Ganderkesee, high in Germany’s north, in the state of Lower Saxony. A generation of watch technicians educated according to strict Glashütte principles had meanwhile matured: Nurofa, Norddeutsche Uhren-Rohwerkefabrik, was created. For the distribution of its products, a company called Tutima Uhren was created. Thus, the tradition-rich name Tutima continued the brand’s history in Lower Saxony without interruption.

S.10-Uhrenfabrik-4c-korr

The Circle Closes: Return to Glashütte

After 66 years, Tutima is once again back home where it all began. On May 12, 2011 the company celebrated its return to Glashütte with a new manufactory. And with a masterpiece the likes of which had never been seen in the 165-year history of watchmaking in Glashütte: the Tutima Hommage Minute Repeater, a deep bow to company founder Dr. Ernst Kurtz.

After 66 years, Tutima is once again back home where it all began. On May 12, 2011 the company celebrated its return to Glashütte with a new manufactory. And with a masterpiece the likes of which had never been seen in the 165-year history of watchmaking in Glashütte: the Tutima Hommage Minute Repeater, a deep bow to company founder Dr. Ernst Kurtz.

tutima_06

A Classic: The Legendary Tutima Flieger Chronograph

From the air, many things seem much different, and perhaps even better. Only when it must face the challenges for which it was made can a pilot’s watch prove itself. In an era long before the development of computer-controlled cockpits, the quality of a pilot’s watch was often a life-or-death issue.

Read More

Many watches emerging from the history of aviation became indispensable companions, but only few became classics. One of these legendary classics is the Tutima pilot’s chronograph from the 1940s with its characteristic appearance including a fluted rotating bezel with red reference point, a high-contrast luminous dial, and striking luminous hands.

In 1945, Russian troops ensured an abrupt end to production. Pilots still in possession of one of the pilot’s watches guarded them as one would an exceptional piece of technology – and a sought-after timepiece in collector’s circles.

The Tutima pilot’s chronograph is a watch with great history and future. The current Grand Flieger line by Tutima Glashütte/Sa. will be a high flyer in 2013, combining modern technology with the style elements of a legend.

AwacsCockpitiC2p